The 2019-2020 school year will be Charlie Groh's 20th year as a Marching Instructor. Charlie started at Trabuco Hills in the Fall of 2000. Charlie is in his seventeenth year affiliated with the Impulse Drum & Bugle Corps. His positions held include a Board Member, Staff Coordinator, Visual Caption Head, Corps Director and Tour Director. Charlie is a fabulous carpenter and operates his own company.
Charlie graduated from Savannah High School in 1965. He received an Associate of Arts (A.A.) in Business in 1968 and an Associate of Arts (A.A.) in English in 1969 from Fullerton College in Fullerton, California. In 1978, Charlie attained a Bachelor of Arts (B.A.) in Communications/Journalism from California State University, Fullerton (CSUF) in Fullerton, California. Charlie was also in the United States Army from 1969 until 1971 as a Chief Warrant Officer 2 and a Scout Helicopter Pilot.
Charlie has had a prominent and renown background in the Drum Corps activity. He was a Charter Member of the Anaheim Scouts Drum & Bugle Corps in 1958 and was a Baritone player until 1963. That same year, he played Baritone for the Lakewood Ambassadors and became a Charter Member of the Velvet Knights Drum & Bugle Corps in 1963. From 1963 to 1969, Charlie played Baritone and Contrabass for the Velvet Knights. After aging out, Charlie gave back to the Drum Corps activity. Below is a summary of his roles as a Drum Corps instructor
- Velvet Knights Drum & Bugle Corps Visual Staff: 1969, 1972-1973, 1975-1978, 1981-1983, 1988, 1991-1993
- Velvet Knights Drum & Bugle Corps Tour Director: 1991-1992
- Anaheim Kingsmen Drum & Bugle Corps Visual Staff: 1974-1975 (1974 World Open Champion)
- Hawthorne Muchachos Drum & Bugle Corps Visual Staff: 1975-19 76
- Van Nuys Royal Cavalier Youth Band Visual Staff: 1977 (National Champion)
- West Coast Express Drum & Bugle Corps Visual Staff: 1979
- Westcoast Sound Drum & Bugle Corps Visual Staff: 1998
- Impulse Drum & Bugle Corps Visual Caption Head: 1999 - 2001
- Impulse Drum & Bugle Corps Corps Director: 2002
- Impulse Drum & Bugle Corps Tour Director: 2003